In this article, I am going to introduce how to install Teradata Express in virtual machines in Windows.
1) Download VMware Player for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit from the following link (version 6.0):
This is a free software for personal use.
2) Download TDE 15.00.00.08 SLES 10 for VMware (40GB) viewpoint: http://downloads.teradata.com/download/database/teradata-express/vmware.
This is the latest version of Teradata Express edition.
1) Install VM Player 6.0. Please turn off Windows feature Hyper-V off in your PC (restart required); otherwise you cannot open VM in the VM Player.
2) Extract the file TDExpress22.214.171.124_Sles10_40GB_vp.7z to a folder.
3) Open VMware Player
4) Choose ‘Open a Virtual Machine’ and select the file ‘TDExpress126.96.36.199_Sles10.vmx’
And now the setup work is done. As you can see, the OS is SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 64-bit and version is Workstation 6.5-7.x virtual machine.
Run the Virtual Machine
Just click ‘Play virtual machine’ and you are entering the world of Teradata.
You can also download and update VMware Tools for Linux for latest version (version 9.6.2) as recommended.
After some setups, you will be able to see the login window:
Login: root, Password: root.
After login, you can see the desktop:
Teradata Studio Express is also included in this virtual machine.
Run ‘Viewpoint Start’ / 'Viewpoint Stop’ to start/stop all the Teradata services.
Using Teradata Express Studio
In the studio, connect to the local Teradata database:
Driver: Teradata embedded JDBC
Database Server Name: localhost
User Name/Domain: dbc
Authentication Mechanism: PASSWORD_PROTECTED
After connection is established, run the query below:
select * from DBC.Accounts;
The result will be similar to the following screenshot:
For more details, visit the following site about how to use this tool: