access_time 18 days ago languageEnglish
more_vert

How to fetch data from Teradata database?

visibility 28 comment 2

I have to connect to a Teradata database and fetch data in UiPath. I know Teradata uses a SQL dialect, but have the following questions:

1. Can we use the existing App Integration > Database activities (part of SQL Activities Pack) to work with Teradata? Do we need to install additional Drivers?

2. If not, is there a separate Package in UiPath for working with Teradata?

Help!!

Thanks

thumb_up 1
comment Comments
12 days ago link more_vert
Z
Zaid
web_assetArticles 0
forumThreads 0
commentComments 2
account_circleProfile
Re: How to fetch data from Teradata database?

First, configure the connection to Teradata

If you have not already, first specify connection properties in an ODBC DSN (data source name). This is the last step of the driver installation. You can use the Microsoft ODBC Data Source Administrator to create and configure ODBC DSNs.

User: Set this to the username of a Teradata user.

Password: Set this to the password of the Teradata user.

DataSource: Specify the Teradata server name, DBC Name, or TDPID.

Port: Specify the port the server is running on.

Database: Specify the database name. If not specified, the default database is used.

Now connect UiPath Studio

• From the Start page, click Blank to create a New Project.
  • Click Manage Packages then search for and install UiPath.Database.Activities.
  • Navigate to the Activities and drop a Flowchart (Workflow → Flowchart → Flowchart) onto the process.
  • Drop a database Connect activity (App Integration → Database → Connect) after the Start activity.
  • Double-click the Connect activity and configure the Connection.
  • Click the Connection Wizard
  • Select “Microsoft ODBC Data Source”
  • In Connection Properties, select your DSN (CData Teradata Source) and click OK.
  • To store Connection info, create a variable and bind to Output in the Properties section. Choose DatabaseConnection in Output.

Create Execute Query

With the connection configured, we are ready to query Teradata data in our RPA.

From the Activities navigation, select Execute Query and drop it on the Flowchart.

Double-click the Execute Query activity and set the properties as follows:

ExistingDbConnection : Your Connection variable

SQL : SELECT statement like SELECT ProductId, ProductName FROM NorthwindProducts WHERE CategoryId = 5

DataTable: Create and use a variable with the Type System.Data.DataTable.

If you want to learn more about Teradata, then the only suggestion is to go for the Teradata certification training course.

18 days ago link more_vert
Raymond Raymond
web_assetArticles 547
forumThreads 7
commentComments 163
account_circleProfile
Re: How to fetch data from Teradata database?

Hello, welcome to Kontext!

I have not used UiPath thus will not be able to suggest on that.

However, based on experiences in the past on other tools, it requires a database driver to connect to a database. For example, Teradata connectivity provides different drivers for different programming languages or platforms: https://downloads.teradata.com/download/connectivity.

If you program with Java, you can use JDBC driver; if you use Python, you can use ODBC or Python native driver or even JDBC driver (via JayDeBeAPI), etc.

For ETL tools, they usually work in two ways:

Pre-install the driver for you when you configure/install those tools.

Will need system administrator to install those

For Java-based, it's usually done by including JDBC jar file directly in the distribution thus no system installation is required.

For UiPath, it looks like it is based on .NET which means they could directly include the .NET data provider into the application if they want to (https://www.nuget.org/packages/Teradata.Client.Provider/). Again, as I didn't use UiPath previously, I cannot comment further on this. 

This forum is for general programming, development related discussions.